Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Health is key

After two weeks of stay in Makkah, I was down with a terrible sore throat that stubbornly refuses to give me a rest. Despite of the numerous gallons of zamzam water that I have consumed, I had accepted this as a test that I had to endure in order to win His Pleasure.
What started off with a rigorous Subuh and a heavy chore of doing laundry* ended with me in bed till late afternoon. I was beginning to cough then. Mak claimed that I had nonsensically spoken in my sleep that I sounded angry. I didn't have any recollection of whatsoever she was saying about.
By Asar, I was already up but I insisted to stay away from the crowd. I had a mask on the whole time as a social service, hoping that I would infect anyone, particularly those in my room.
This is the first time I had religiously worn a mask for health reasons. I had never had any fever nor flue during the H1N1 epidemic episode, so I had least the experience of looking like a female ninja. I had always thought then that wearing the mask would suffocate its wearer but ever since I had it on, the pre0judged assumptions about it is baseless.
It is a social responsibility of not circulating germs that are released into the air through the coughs, sneezing and whatever that takes place within the breathing process. While the room is constantly (and insistently) air-conditioned, my roomies have found ways to unlatch the window and have air circulated - in and out.
* I washed my own laundry, instead of sending it to the laundrette.

No comments:

Post a Comment